Updated July 6, 2023
These refund guidelines apply to all refunds in all situations for International Students. To be considered for a refund, International Students must submit written notice of withdrawal to the RIVER EAST TRANSCONA SCHOOL DIVISION: INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAM.
- Verbal notices will not be considered.
- Notices of dismissal from the Program will be in written form. These refund guidelines include tuition and homestay fees.
- Only unused program fees are eligible for refund and are granted on a case-by-case basis.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- Medical Insurance is non-refundable after the start of the program.
The following explains our procedures for refunding program fees when a student enrolls in our International Program and later seeks to withdraw. These procedures may change from time to time, and any amendments will be effective when posted. If there is any conflict between these procedures and the terms of your International Student Legal Agreement with the School Division, the terms of the International Student Legal Agreement will govern.
Making a Request for Refund
Refund requests must be made in writing and addressed to the Director, International Education Program. Refunds requests should include any relevant documentation supporting the basis for the request. We may request additional documentation to assess your request if needed.
Non-Refundable Program Fees
Refunds are not available for administrative program fees, namely the application fee that is paid to the School Division for receiving and processing a student’s application or enrollment to the School Division. The medical insurance fee is non-refundable as it is paid to a third party (“Non-Refundable Program fees”).
When Refunds are Not Available
We reserve the right to refuse any request for a refund, regardless of the reason for the request, if it is received after the commencement of the Program.
Refunds shall not be issued with respect to Students who:
- are suspended or expelled from the International Educational Program or required to withdraw due to their own inappropriate behaviour, such as where the student fails to comply with the School Division’s Code of Conduct or any applicable laws or the rules, policies or procedures of the School Division or its homestay program; or
- are removed from the Program because information provided in their application for enrollment is determined by the School Division to be false or misleading, including undisclosed illness, medical or mental health conditions or undisclosed educational needs; or
- have declared their primary purpose as a “student” in the International Education Program through application, acceptance, and issuance of a Letter of Acceptance (LoA) but later wish to change to a Fundable Admission student; or
- whose Study Permit is revoked by Citizenship and Immigration Canada for just cause; or
- Who decide, with or without consultation with their natural parents/guardians, to depart the program prior to their official program end date.
NOTE: Engaging in any illegal activities, that is, breaking the laws of Canada, may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
When Refunds will be considered:
The School Division will receive and consider requests for the refund of 100% of program fees, other than Non-Refundable Program fees, where:
- the student is refused a Study Permit by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and subject to the student providing satisfactory supporting documentation, such as the rejection letter from Canadian authorities. The initial Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa refusal by IRCC will be considered for a full refund request.
- the student is unable to travel to Canada due to travel bans or restrictions imposed by a provincial or the federal government of Canada or the government of the student’s country of residence; or
- the School Division is satisfied that the Student is medically unfit or unable to travel to and attend in Canada to participate in the Educational Program, provided that the Student supplies, upon request, appropriate medical documentation supporting the reasons for the request, and provided the Student or his/her parent/guardian was unaware of the medical unfitness at the time of accepting enrolment, and provided the request is received prior to the commencement of the Educational Program.
- there is a death or serious illness a member of the student’s immediate family that necessitates the student returning or staying home. Proof in the form of documentation of the extenuating circumstances is required.
Reduced refund amount
If the School Division determines that a refund is appropriate, we reserve the right to reduce the amount of Program Fees refunded to offset our own costs including the loss of any staff time or resources arising from a student withdrawal.
For students who have not begun an Educational Program, a reduction in the amount of program fees refunded will be as follows:
- 75% of the program fees will be refunded if the withdrawal is submitted more than 90 days prior to the commencement of the Educational Program. The commencement of the Educational Program is considered the program start date listed on the student’s Letter of Acceptance.
- 50% of the program fees will be refunded in the event the withdrawal is submitted less than 90 days but more than 30 days of the commencement of the Educational Program.
- 25% of the program fees will be refunded in the event the withdrawal is submitted less than 30 days but more than one day of the commencement of the Educational Program.
- No refund will be issued for refund requests received after the commencement of the Educational Program.
For returning students who have participated in an Educational Program for any length of time, a reduction in the amount of Program Fees refunded will be as follows:
- 50% of the program fees will be refunded in the event the withdrawal is after a confirmed re-registration and before May 15.
- no refund will be issued for refund requests received after May 15.
Homestay Fee Refund:
- A partial or full homestay fee refund may be granted and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- No refunds will be granted if the student is away for travel for any period during a month. Full payment for the month is required.