Students are at school to experience and enjoy learning. It is a basic expectation that all students will respect the teaching, learning and playing of others. Arthur Day Middle School is a place where we are:
- Respectful of ourselves
- Respectful of others
- Respectful of property
If a student is going to be absent from school due to illness or medical appointment, a parent or guardian must phone the school before 8:30 a.m. or at lunch. A message may be left on the school’s answering machine.
Classroom doors will be closed when the buzzer sounds at 8:50 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Any student who arrives after the buzzer will be required to obtain a late slip from the office before entering the classroom. A student who is habitually late will receive a detention.
Students who become ill should report to the teacher in charge of the class. If it becomes necessary to go home, the student must go to the office, get permission to leave and sign out.
Leaving the school grounds
Students must receive permission from the principal or vice-principal to leave the school grounds during school hours under all circumstances. Students do not require permission to leave the school grounds during the lunch break.
Students are expected to dress appropriately for school. We strongly encourage that common sense standards of decency prevail. This applies, in particular, to skimpy clothing such as tank tops, spaghetti straps, bare midriffs, beachwear or T-shirts/sweatshirts with inappropriate messages. Any clothing depicting drugs, sex or offensive language is unacceptable. Students will be asked to change their shirt, turn their shirt inside out, wear something over it or go home to change. Footwear must be worn at all times.
River East Transcona is a smoke-free school division. Students who break the “no smoking” policy will be suspended from school:
- First offence 1 day
- Second offence 2 days
- Third offence 3 days
The complete policy is available from the school.
Drug and alcohol abuse
The division recognizes that the use of illegal and unauthorized drugs/alcohol constitutes a serious hazard to the positive development of students. Moreover, such use of drugs/alcohol is deemed to be harmful not only to the user but also to those around him/her.
Because such behaviour is injurious to the welfare of the school, the use or possession of illicit drugs/alcohol in or on school property or at any school-sponsored event is strictly prohibited. Students found in violation of this policy may be suspended up to five days by the administration. The Board Office may take further action.
In the hallways, students are expected to walk and to talk at conversational levels. Rowdiness, bad language and immature behaviour will not be tolerated in our school. All teachers and paraprofessionals have authority over students and are expected to supervise them in the halls and washrooms at all times. Garbage receptacles are provided at various places in the hallways and it is expected that students will place all paper and refuse in them.
General rules for students
I agree to abide by these schoolwide expectations:
1. Abide by the divisional code of conduct.
2. RESPECT: myself, others and property.
3. Refrain from smoking in, on or around school property and school buses.
4. Refrain from bringing lighters, matches or laser pointers into the school.
5. Abide by the school dress code.
6. Respect the school lunch expectations.
7. If I choose to bring electronic equipment to school, I will store it in my locker during instructional time and the school assumes no responsibility for loss or damage.
8. I understand that student use of cellphones and other electronic communication devices is not permitted in the school and on school property unless directed by the teacher/school.
9. Refrain from throwing snowballs to and from school, and on school property.
10. Refrain from bringing sunflower seeds to school.
11. Remain on the school grounds during school time.
12. Use the school-assigned locker and lock.
13. If I damage school property, I understand that I will be responsible for paying for the damage. This includes lockers, textbooks and other school items.
14. I will secure my bicycle to the racks with a lock and store my skateboard in my locker. I will walk my bicycle or carry my skateboard on school property between 8:10 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. I understand that I can use my skateboard or rollerblades in the designated area during the lunch break. I will not wear Heelys on school property.