Welcome to your Learning Commons
From Library to Learning Commons
The RA Learning Commons (LC) is different from the traditional Library. It is all about Learning. We each have our own ways of Learning, and the LC space tries to accommodate each student's individual Learning needs.
The LC is, first and foremost, a welcoming and comfortable space. A variety of seating and working areas, tables with casters for easy reconfiguration, some tables with whiteboard tops, a couch area, two different desktop computer areas, a set of laptops, a Collaboration Room, a large screen projection unit, a high-bandwidth Wi-Fi network, and a robust selection of books are some of the spaces, materials and equipment available to our Learners in the LC.
There is a saying: "The smartest person in the room is the room." (David Weinberger). When we share our individual Learning, through discussion with a partner, or collaboration amongst a larger group, our Learning becomes deeper. Thus the LC is not always a silent space.
We try to have a Learning Coach in the LC every period.
Many aspects of the RA LC have been incorporated through student suggestion and input. This is an ongoing process. Let us know what you need to make Learning come alive for you.
Welcome to our program of information literacy. We believe that every student should have the skills necessary to navigate in today's information-rich society. Determining information needs, recognizing and selecting appropriate resources (print and online), and managing information are fundamental skills needed for learning.
Lead Learning Coach: Ms. Loewen
Library Technician: Ms. Hutton
Learning Commons Hours
Monday – Friday: 8:30 am to 3:50 pm.
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
- Borrowing Period: 2 weeks – return your books in the book return box.
- Number of Sign Outs: No more than 3 books at a time.
- Renewals: 2 times – please renew your items on time.
- Overdue Items: No overdue fees, but books that are overdue for more than 3 months will be considered lost.
- Lost Items: Replacement costs will apply to all lost books.
At the Learning Commons, you can:
Borrow reading, viewing and listening material, including:
- Books – Non-fiction, fiction and graphic novels
- Magazines – Kids Discover, Sports Illustrated, Teen Vogue, Transworld Snowboarding, Car & Driver, Pop Star, Hockey News, Elle Canada, and People Style Watch
- DVDs and audiobooks
Read or study:
- We have space for you to study, or just to relax with a magazine. Bring your friends and read together!
Use a computer:
- We have 16 internet computers with various programs for research projects and school work.
Use online resources:
- Materials catalogue search
- World Book online encyclopedia
Collaborate with your Group
- Ms. Scott, Ms. Hutton and the Learning Coach will help you find answers to many kinds of questions. Just ask!