Many thesis-level students and professional researchers request the participation of students and staff for their studies. We encourage this participation and have established a research application process to screen requests for the participation of students and/or staff within our jurisdiction and to expedite the completion of approved projects.
Our research guidelines are designed to assist researchers in meeting the research application requirements of RETSD. You will note that all projects emanating from individuals and agencies external to RETSD must be approved by the division. Applications will be screened on the basis of ethics, research methodology, disruptions to the schools, and benefit to the division, education, and/or society. Please see our complete research guidelines by clicking the Research Guidelines link on the left.
There are several aspects of the guidelines and submission procedure we would like to emphasize to minimize disappointment to researchers:
1. RETSD will not consider incomplete applications. The research guidelines and application form outline the attachments required.
2. RETSD does not, in principle, allow research in the schools in May, June, and September; as you can appreciate, students and staff are extremely busy with the beginning and end-of-term school processes at those times. The exception to this principle is research which, by its nature, must be done in May, June, or September (e.g. research into allergies).
3. The final decision regarding all research requests will be made by the RETSD superintendent/CEO.
4. Approval by the division does not obligate a school, its staff, or students to participate in the study.
5. Any personnel who will be in contact with students will be required to have a cleared Child Abuse Registry check and a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector search dated within one year. These are to be presented to the school administrator prior to being granted access to the students.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of our Research Application Form.