Our parent advisory council is an active and committed group of individuals
whose purpose is to foster the well-being and effectiveness of our school
community and enhance student learning.
Our membership is open to all
parents as well as residents in the catchment area who are
interested in the education and well being of students.
We provide feedback on issues of importance such as school philosophy,
mission and vision, school programs and direction. We also organize special
events which benefit our school and community.
SHS encourages parental involvement in education. The SHS parent council's
role is advisory only. The council's operation and composition is governed
democratically and executive officers are elected annually in the spring.
Monthly meetings are held in the school library.
The council is a volunteer organization dedicated to:
- Increasing the educational opportunities for our students
- Improving the relationship and communication between parents and school
- To communicate with parents/guardians of children attending the school so
that it can properly represent their priorities and concerns.
- To establish a means whereby it is regularly accountable to school community
for its activities and expendituresc. To co-operate with school boards,
principals, and teachers in performing its role.
Functions of the Parent
The parent council may advise principals about school policies, activities,
and organizations by participating in all or some of the following:
Participating in any review of the school that the minister or the school
board has directed to be carried out.
- Recommending what types of optional curricula are to be offered.
- Recommending what types of extracurricular activities the school should
- Developing school codes of conduct and behaviour management policies.
- Promoting community interest in the schools.
- Recommending community use of the school facilities.
- Promoting parental involvement in the school system.
- Advising the principal about fund-raising and participate in fundraising
SHS, a triple-track school, has three special language committees that report
monthly to the parent council. Because of the unique
characteristics and challenges of language programs, the English Parent
Committee, English-Ukrainian Bilingual Parent Committee and the French Immersion
Parent Committee support their respective language programs and offer support in
a variety of ways, meeting regularly to determine various activities.
New members are always welcome. If you would like more information or are
interested in getting involved please call Springfield Heights School at 204-663-5078.