House League system is a fundamental part of life at Prince
Edward School. Everyone in the school, including staff and
students, belongs to one of four houses. The students named their
houses the Red Heads, Yellow Submarines, Blue Suede Shoes and Purple People
Eaters. Students designed logos and t-shirts to complement the
names. Students remain with their houses from kindergarten to Grade 5
On the first Friday of every month, at 9:15 a.m. we have a
house league assembly. All staff and students are expected to wear
their house colours to the assembly. Students who do not have a
house league t-shirt may wear other t-shirts that match their house
The purposes of the house league are:
- To promote school spirit by encouraging an active life in
Prince Edward School.
- To promote acceptable standards of behavior and positive
relationships with others.
- To encourage participation in a wide variety of
- To encourage quality performance, a positive self-concept,
and respect for others.
- To encourage participation in and enjoyment of physical
activity and physical fitness.
League t-shirts are available for puchase at the school office.
Activies for a Sustainable Future
The school is commited to the 3 Rs, Reuse, Recycle and
Reduce. An active recycling program is carried out by our
students. Some of our initiatives are:
- Classroom sets of dishes have replaced paper products
- Bring your own bowls have replaced bags for popcorn at our movie nights
- Campbell Soup labels and Canadian Tire money help make purchases for
- Every classroom is encouraged to re-use discarded left over paper
- Our art programs use goods from Arts Junction
- Sharing of our bits and pieces of leftover paper with Brazier Street Nursery
and our Birth to Four Program
- We offer a clothing swap out of our community room
- The division has supplied the school with recycling bins
Students at Prince Edward school attend music class three times a cycle. Students also have the opportunity to become part of groups like Grade 4-5 Choir, Musical Orffans and Recorder Club. Each year, all students having the opportunity to perform in a concert: The Kindergarten to Grade 3 students perform in a Christmas Concert, usually occurring in the second week in December. The Grade 4-5 students are part of a Spring Musical, usually occurring in the second week of May.
Our school also participates in the Brummit-Taylor Music Appreciation program as part of our morning opening exercises. At the start of each week, students are introduced to a new composer and an excerpt of one of their works. Each day begins with a reading, talking about the composer and information about the piece of music that they composed. By listening each morning to these compositions our students have gained an appreciation for the classics.