Tom Andrews was born in 1922 in East Kildonan where he lived on Moncton Avenue until he joined the Air Force on November 12, 1942. During World War II, Tom served as an airplane mechanic and was stationed in Tofino on Vancouver Island until the end of the war in 1945. When the war ended, he returned to Winnipeg and married Cecily in 1946 and they raised 4 children on the very street that Tom had grown up on. In 1958, Tom became the custodian at Angus McKay School where he was the custodian until 1959, when he moved to Morse Place Junior High for it's opening. In 1971, Tom was part of another school's opening: Kildonan East Regional Secondary School. After a few years as the head custodian at K.E.R.S.S., Tom joined the division maintenance crew in 1974. After 11 years with maintenance, Tom retired as the Assistant Director of Maintenance in 1985.