The Library Learning Commons is OPEN!
The LLC has re-opened for the 2021-22 school year! We are open from 8:20am-3:30pm daily for book browsing, collaborative workspace, Makerspace activities, or as a place to read and work individually.
Getting Material from the Library Learning Commons
- Visit the LLC before and after school, during your spares, or with the permission of your classroom teacher. Sign out your materials at the front desk or use them within the space.
- Request a title to be placed on "hold" to pick up at the LLC entrance. Use our Search Our Library tool and log in with your username and password. Search for an item you'd like and click the title of it to get a new page where you can press the "Hold It" button. Follow the prompts until you see a confirmation and expected time for your order to be ready.
- Borrowing Period – 3 weeks
- Up to 5 items per student - additional items may be requested, but are not guaranteed
- To renew items, please bring the item to the Library LC or contact Ms. Williams or Mrs. Hawkins on Teams
- Lost items will be charged to the borrower. If you find a lost item (from any RETSD school), return it to us!
Flipster Digital Magazine Subscription
- The Flipster App available through Apple and Google Play provides a smooth user experience and is highly recommended. Add Kildonan East Collegiate as your library.
- If you are unable to use the app, you can access our subscriptions to by clicking this link to Flipster - Digital Magazines.
- The username and password are available from Library staff members (send us a Teams message!), or you may ask a teacher to contact us on your behalf.
Sora by Overdrive eBooks and Audiobooks
The KEC LLC now subscribes to Sora by Overdrive. Currently, Sora features ebooks and audiobooks for Kindergarten to Grade 12 users. Beginning in November, we will be able to add specific titles requested by students at KEC.
- The Sora app available in Apple and Google Play stores can be used to find, preview, borrow, and read titles.
- Students and staff can also read using the online version of Sora from their browser.
- Items are automatically returned after 14 days but can be renewed if there are no holds. You are encouraged to return finished items early so the next patron can access it. If a title is currently on loan to another user, you may place a "hold" on the item to have it delivered when available.
Other Digital Subscription Services
The KEC Library subscribes to a variety of print, audio, and video services. A "KEC Student Resources" document is available by request to the Library staff or your teacher, listing all services and providing students with the at-home username and password credentials.
Our most popular resources include:
- Curio (a catalogue of CBC, BBC and National Geographic videos)
- TeenBookCloud (eBooks and audio books)
- World Book Online (a trustworthy encyclopedia written by experts in the field)
- EBSCOHost (a database of scholarly journals and reference material)
About Our Library
The library houses a large selection of up-to-date informational books, a large fiction collection, graphic novels, manga, quick reads and varying reading level materials, reference materials, periodicals, and a variety of electronic resources. Library staff can assist students in searching online resources using the computer terminals or their personal device.
Access to online resources such as Sora (ebooks and audiobooks), EBSCOhost (online periodicals), World Book Encyclopedia, Flipster digital magazines, The Winnipeg Free Press, and the Winnipeg Public Library Catalogue is available at home, on your device, or in the school.
Student requests are encouraged and welcome! Please feel free to suggest an item to the LLC staff in-person, by Teams Chat (to Ms. Katie Williams or Mrs. Cecilia Hawkins), or through your teachers.