Musical education is compulsory at all levels. The Grade 5 general music program consists of:
- Learning to play the recorder
- The study of basic music theory
- The introduction of the four major band instruments: flute, clarinet, trumpet and trombone.
Band Program Objectives:
Music is one of the finer pleasures in life regardless of whether one is involved professionally or on a more casual basis. It is our objective in the band program:
· To develop reading skills and proficiency in playing a chosen musical instrument.
· To develop an appreciation and understanding of the language and structure of music.
· To give the student the opportunity to expand his/her interest and talent.
· To provide the student with opportunities for public performance.
· To give the student an opportunity to develop work ethic, self-discipline and pride in his/ her accomplishments.
· To give the student an opportunity to participate in a group activity, thus developing a sense of group responsibility and team spirit.
· To assist the student in planning for future musical enjoyment.
In Grade 8 the school offers a musical option, provided there is sufficient interest and available staffing. This option is in the form of a music appreciation course, in which the students chronologically study the development of music over the last 100 years, leading to today’s popular music. This history and theory-based course includes assignments, projects and tests and appears on the students’ report cards.