Welcome to Our School Library
Welcome to the library and to our program of information literacy! We believe that every student should have the skills necessary to navigate in today's information-rich society. Determining information needs, recognizing and selecting appropriate resources—whether print or online—and managing the information are fundamental skills needed for successful academic research.
Mme Kelly Allen (teacher librarian)
Mme Woodfine (library technician)
Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
- Borrowing period — one school day cycle
- Number of sign-outs:
- Kindergarten — one book/cycle
- Grade 1 — one book/cycle
- Grade 2 — two books/cycle
- Grade 3 — two books/cycle
- Grade 4 — three books/cycle
- Renewals — up to two cycles
- Overdue — no charge — Students are encouraged to return library books on time; overdue lists are communicated on the day of book exchange and individual notices to students are sent home three cycles later; students may not borrow library books until books are returned
- Lost/damaged books — replacement cost
Our library program focuses on literature appreciation and the development of research skills. Our library provides an updated collection that supports the subject requirements of the Manitoba Education curriculum and the literacy needs of our students.
Through story time and book exchange, the students have the opportunity to experience a variety of genres of literature and select among a wide range of fiction and non-fiction books for pleasure-reading in both the English and French languages.
The teacher librarian collaborates with classroom teachers to develop units of study with an inquiry-based learning approach to research. The teacher librarian and the classroom teacher will then deliver the unit as a team. With the use of a variety of strategies, students will learn the art of questioning, note-making, organizing, and applying the information. The Manitoba Education document "Literacy with Information Communication Technology Across the Curriculum" is incorporated within the units. Each class will complete a minimum of two unit studies with the teacher librarian in one school year period.
Our program ensures our students are well on their way to becoming independent lifelong learners.
Adult volunteers are always needed to help with library maintenance. Please let us know if you are interested.