All schools including Dr. F.W.L. Hamilton School, purposefully plan for student safety in/and around our buildings.
These plans include:
Emergency preparedness - including fire drills that are practiced 10 times a year, along with school lockdown and evacuation drills.
Supervision - school grounds are supervised 15 minutes before and after school as well as all times at recess and lunch when students are outside. School patrols increase safety through peer supports.
Building - entrance doors are all locked once students enter for classes during the school day, except the front/administration doors to restrict unwanted access to our learning areas.
To help ensure the safety of our students, certain potentially dangerous areas are out of bounds. These areas are the parking lot, the green space in the south corner of the school, the front street and the bus loop. Please assist us by picking up students on the east side of parent drop off (by sidewalk) or east side of Henderson Hwy north of exit and no parking sign rather than the school parking lot.
School staff supervise playground activities from:
Before school 9:10 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
Morning recess 10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Afternoon recess 2:25 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.
After school 4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Minor injuries such as cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc. will be attended to by school staff. For serious injuries, proper first aid/emergency procedures will be as follows:
- Parents/guardians or emergency contact persons will be phoned to inform them of the injury. A decision will be made if the child needs to be transported to the doctor or hospital.
- If no contact can be made, school staff will transport the injured child to the hospital.
- If the injury is very serious or life threatening, an ambulance will be called.
Visitors to the school
The policy of the River East Transcona School Division is that:
- Every visitor to the school must first report to the school office.
- Parent volunteers and guests are asked to wear an identification card while they are in the school.
- All volunteers must complete a Child Abuse Registry check prior to volunteering in the school. These are available in the school office.
- There may be times when your child needs to be picked up from school. Please report to the office, and your child will be paged. For the safety of your child, we do not want students waiting outside unsupervised.
- At regular dismissal times parents, relatives or friends of students are asked to wait for the children at the exits. Last minute instructions by teachers as they prepare to dismiss their students can be unnecessarily complicated by the presence of other adults or children.
Emergency school closure
Occasionally, because of power failure, water main break, etc., the school may have to be closed. In case of such emergency, pupils at Dr. F.W.L. Hamilton will be walked to Robert Andrews School or East St. Paul Community Club where they will be accommodated until parents can arrange to pick them up or the usual dismissal time. If pupils have to be sent home, please be sure your child knows where to go if you are not at home.