RETSDParent/Student PortalOffice365WebmailStaff
Dr. F.W.L. Hamilton School
River East Transcona School Division


Influenza season is upon us

In the schools and community, you may be noticing more of your friends and neighbors are ill. In the health system, we have noticed that the numbers of cases of influenza ("flu") are now starting to increase in Winnipeg.

Symptoms of influenza almost always include fever and cough. They commonly also include sore throat, muscle aches, joint pain, headaches and fatigue. For some children and adults symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

What you can do?

Hand washing

In class and at home, please remind children to wash their hands frequently.

Cover your cough

Please remind children to cough or sneeze into a tissue or into their sleeve or elbow.

Please keep your children home if they have flu-like symptoms

It is important to keep your child at home if he or she has flu-like symptoms, until they are feeling better. It is helpful to have backup childcare plans if needed.

Have you and your children received the flu shot?

Getting a flu shot is the most effective way for you and your children to avoid getting and spreading influenza. Flu shots are available free of charge to all family members and can be given to anyone six months of age and over.

To get your flu shot your family can visit your primary care provider or any of the Quick Care clinics, or you can book an appointment at your local public health office. Call 204-956-SHOT to find the address and phone number of your local public health. Please remember to bring your Manitoba Health card or out-of-province health card.

Need more information?

 If you would like more information:

β€’ Visit the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority website at and follow the link "Protecting Yourself from the Flu"

β€’ Call your local community area public health office during regular business hours. You can find your local community health office at under the tab "search the health services directory"

β€’ Call Health Links – Info SantΓ© 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 204-788-8200.

Thank you for your help in fighting the spread of Influenza.


Dr. Bunmi Fatoye

Medical Officer of Health

Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

Communicable diseases

Communicable diseases such as chicken pox, head lice, impetigo and pink eye do occur in schools.

In the case of head lice, an information pamphlet is sent to every member of a class where the lice was found. It uses current information from the Province of Manitoba Department of Health and Winnipeg Regional Health Authority describing how to identify and control the spread of head lice. It is parent's responsibility to treat and check your child for this condition. In the case of pink eye, impetigo, etc., children should be treated by a doctor and parents should obtain medical confirmation that attendance at school is not a health risk to others.

Student medication

Parents requesting that school staff administer medication must first complete and submit the 'Authorization for the Administration of Prescribed Medication' forms. They are also available at the school office. Prescribed medications shall be administered only if the student cannot attend school without the provision of this medication.

Procedures to be followed:

  1. Parents will be asked to complete the necessary forms. Parents are required to bring the medication to school. Please do not send the medication with the student.
  2. A receipt of medication procedure will be completed. Please note that all medication must be in an up-to-date dispensary container and will be stored in the office or refrigerator as necessary.
  3. The school will not administer the first dose of any new prescription.
  4. Only prescribed medications with a prescribing physician's order/pharmacist's label can be administered in school.
  5. Students requiring epipens must have them on their person at all times.

For additional information please consult the brochure "Administering Medication to Students in Schools" which is available upon request in our school office.