English as an Additional Language (EAL) Programs for Students
New Canadian students in kindergarten through Grade 4 receive English as an Additional Language (EAL) programming right in their classroom.
Students in Grades 5–12 who are in the early stages of EAL learning, or are LAL (Literacy, Academic and Language) learners, attend specialized programs where they can focus on learning the English language and developing the academic skills needed for educational success in Manitoba.
Grade 5–12 students who are at a higher level of English but who need help, and those who opt for their community school, receive their programming in the classroom at their designated school.
Our EAL/LAL programs provide a learning experience based on:
- Individualized assessment of each student's language and learning needs
- Appropriate instruction geared to individual needs
- A safe and encouraging learning environment
- Progressive integration into regular program/classroom
EAL and/or LAL programs are located at:
- John Pritchard School (Grades 5–8)
- Miles Macdonell Collegiate (Grades 9–12)
- Kildonan-East Collegiate (Grades 9–12)
Download our EAL brochure for more information