Preparing a child for kindergarten is an exciting time for the whole family. We have a variety of programs and services to help the transition to school go smoothly. Watch for details in a special issue of the Kinder Links newsletter.
Welcome to Kindergarten Bags
Every family registering for kindergarten receives a sack full of materials, resources and activities that can be enjoyed by both parents and children during the months leading up to kindergarten.
Contents have been carefully chosen by our staff and include items such as an interactive calendar, crayons, scissors with instructions for use, math-related items such as cards and dice, and a pencil with a finger grip. We also include parenting resources.
Preschool Growing and Learning Resources
Learn more about encouraging and promoting your family’s physical, nutritional, social and emotional health, and well-being. Visit the Kindergarten Preparation page on the RETSD website for helpful links and resources.
Health & Wellness
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella (MMRV) Vaccine
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Polio (Tdap-IPV) Vaccine
- Child car seats:
- Toothpaste Resource – talks about children’s toothpaste
- Thumbs and Soothers resource
- Bottle Weaning tips
- How to Brush Teeth
- Lift the Lip
- Dental Care for Mom and Young Children
- PE during a pandemic
- Fundamental Movement Skills videos
- How to get Kids Involved at Home with a Simple Food Activity! - Nüton (nuton.ca)
- Home - Unlock Food
- Canada's Food Guide
- Factsheets, Newsletter Inserts, and Information for Parents | Healthy Food in Schools | Manitoba Healthy Schools | Province of Manitoba (gov.mb.ca)
- parents.pdf (gov.mb.ca)
- 50_lunch_ideas.pdf (gov.mb.ca)
- peanut_free_snacks.pdf (gov.mb.ca)
- Nutrition • Healthy Parenting Winnipeg
Mobile Kinder Camps (July & August)
This summer, we are excited to bring the fun of Kinder Camp to your front yard/nearby green space. Young participants and parents will enjoy getting comfy on a blanket or lawn chair as Mobile Kinder Camp facilitators lead them in rhymes, stories, phonological activities, and a few active games. We'll be happy to teach your family kindergarten-themed rhymes to help you get excited about starting school!
Mobile Kinder Camp will take place outside your home Monday to Friday from July 5–August 11. Appointments will be available morning, afternoon, or early evening. Sign up for two (2) 45-minute sessions. Siblings and friends are welcome to participate, too! Just before we leave, participants will receive a Kinder Camp care package that will include educational activities and an art experience.
* A parent/caregiver will be required to stay outside during the entire appointment to ensure their children are properly physically distancing. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.
Virtual Literacy Links Visiting (July & August)
Led by trained and enthusiastic Literacy Links facilitators, children are sure to enjoy educational games, stories, and art experiences to enhance their skills and understanding of the concepts of print, rhyming, sound recognition, and counting/early math skills. Virtual sessions will be offered Monday to Friday in the morning, afternoon and early evening. Sign up for six (6) 30-minute sessions. Before the start of your virtual visiting experience, resource packages filled with at-home learning activities will be available for pickup. The Kinder Links office will contact participants in June to provide details on pickup times and locations.
*Check back with the Kinder Links office in June 2021, as in-person Literacy Links Visits hosted at designated RETSD school locations may be available to families. Literacy Links Visits in schools would be contingent on the Manitoba pandemic response level and gathering size restrictions in late spring.
Join in the fun of FREE parent-child programming, special events and parenting workshop initiatives. Click here for more information on Kinder Links for families with children birth to age 5