|Welcome to our school library|
Welcome to the library and to our program of information literacy. We believe that every student should have the skills necessary to navigate in today's information-rich society. Determining information needs, recognizing and selecting appropriate resources - whether print or online and managing the information are fundamental skills needed for successful academic research.
Nicole Ziemianski, Teacher Librarian (days 2, 4, 6)
Ashley Buchanan, Teacher Librarian (days 1, 3, 5)
Amanda Krahn, Library Technician (full time)
Hours of operation: 8:40 - 3:30
· Borrowing Period: One School Cycle
· Number of sign outs: Two books may be borrowed at a time
· Renewals: Materials can be renewed once, as long as no one else has the book on hold.
· Overdues: Books can't be borrowed until previously borrowed materials are returned.
· Lost Books: Families will be charged the replacement cost of the book.
The library program is a dynamic part of BWCS. Classes from grades 1 to 8 participate in "inquiry-based learning" units. These units, taught co-operatively by the teacher librarian and the classroom teacher, provide instruction in information literacy and technology. Students also have the opportunity to learn about a variety of authors, illustrators, and book genres. Students are taught how to search for and find books of interest in the library. Parents are encouraged to share library books with their children, and to ensure that books are returned promptly. Families will be charged for lost books.